Brigitte’s Mace

Brigitte’s mace was 3D printed with eSun ABS in 9 separate parts.


There were a lot of seams to fill, so I used Freeform Air from SmoothOn (which is an alternative to Bondo, but used in a lot of other things). I sanded the parts down until they were flush. I also used XTC 3D on the top part of the mace.


Top covered in XTC 3D. It’s an epoxy that nestles into the layer lines and also adds some structural integrity.


FreeFormAir applied at the seams and defective areas.


Then it was more sanding.


The handle and head parts were glued together with epoxy glue. I sanded the contact areas with sandpaper beforehand, making it a bit more porous so that it would adhere better. The process is similar to scoring clay. With a large drillbit, I screwed in an opening large enough for a .25 inch steel rod through the handle up into the main part. From the “ankle” joint upwards, I used a one inch PVC pipe. This way the “skeleton” passes through all the pieces at least once and interlocks towards the heavier areas at the top.


I unfortunately did not take that many photos of the different stanges of sanding. My process was basically this: Sand with 80-220 grit depending on the areas, wetsand from 400-1200 grit sandpaper before polishing it a bit. I did manage to snag one with all of the pieces right before being polished.


The 4 main sections through production were the handle, ankle joint, main section, and the 4 wings. Each part was sanded and wetsanded then polished.

After priming, I coated all the pieces in glossy black spray paint. This makes sure that the coat is even and helps the color pop. For lighter colors I would paint them white.


There was a lot of masking needed for this paint job. I used sculpting tools on some areas to ensure a crisp edge.

And then some more masking.


For the metallic paint I used Rustoleum’s ‘Dark Steel’ and the colors were from Montana GOLD.


Final assembly before putting on the wings. This is where I fed the PVC pipe/steel rod through the main section. I dumped a bunch of epoxy in the open area and held it upside down until it cured.


Once all the pieces were properly painted, they were covered in 2 coats of glossy varnish (Montana GOLD can). The remaining pieces were assembled with epoxy glue and the wings were screwed into the main part of the mace.


This beast is almost 3 feet tall and weighs just over 10 lbs!